At West U Wellness we take special precautions with our pregnant patients. We modify our adjusting techniques to fit each stage of our patients’ pregnancies. With our combined years of experience and education, we are one of the top Pregnancy Chiropractor Houston clinics for treating pregnant women and children.
Webster technique and fetal positioning
The Webster technique is a specific chiropractic analysis and adjustment. The goal of the adjustment is to reduce the effects of sacral subluxation and or sacroiliac joint dysfunction. In doing so, doing neuro-biomechanical function in the pelvis is improved. This allows the baby optimal room for movement in utero and provides it the opportunity to develop free of constraint. Conversely, if the woman’s sacrum (the major triangular bone in her pelvis) is out of alignment, it will affect the alignment of her entire pelvis. Misalignment of the pelvis will create an uneven pulling effect on the uterine ligaments, which explains why some women feel sensitivity on one side more than the other.
- Any compromised position for the baby throughout pregnancy will affect his or her optimal development.
- Conditions such as torticollis may occur because a baby’s space was cramped in utero.
- If the woman’s uterus is constrained as birth approaches, the baby is prevented from getting into the best possible position for birth. In other words, a baby could be breech, in transverse position or OP (occiput posterior).
In the late seventies, Larry Webster, DC, founder of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association, noted a connection between subluxations of the sacral and pelvic bones and abnormal fetal positioning. He developed a gentle chiropractic adjusting technique (called the Webster Technique) to restore movement and alignment in the sacrum and observed that babies would regularly turn to the vertex position on their own after the adjustment.
- The Webster Technique involves analysis of the pelvic bones and correcting the aberrant biomechanics through the use of a light force adjustment to the sacrum.
- It also involves the release of specific abdominal muscle tension or spasm.
- All of our Doctors of Chiropractic are Webster Technique certified and have years of experience working with pregnant mothers.
Chiropractic for an easier birth
The body’s intelligence wants the easiest route out for the baby. If a mother’s biomechanics are compromised, obstetric interventions are more likely to be recommended and implemented.
- Doctors of Chiropractic work specifically with your pelvis throughout pregnancy to restore a state of balance and creating an environment for an easier safer delivery. We do not move the baby in any way – the work is done all on the expecting mother.
- Published studies have indicated that chiropractic care does in fact reduce labor time.
Chiropractic after birth
During the first few months post-partum you are still producing relaxin hormone so it’s a great time to make some permanent changes to your alignment. Learn more about chiropractic care for pregnancy.
Click below to listen to Dr. Caroline Long’s interview with Midwife Pat Jones on the KPFT 90.1 “Whole Mother” show.
Chiropractic and alternative treatments for fertility
Besides treating women during pregnancy, we also try and work with couples who want to become pregnant. Click below to list to Dr. Caroline Long’s interview on the “Whole Mother” radio show about alternative treatments for increasing fertility.